Using a Pump
Arrange use of a pump
- Talk with your insurance provider and/or your health care provider about your eligibility for a personal electric breast pump.
- Your hospital, employer, school or local WIC office may have pumps for rent. Manual pumps are also available.
Practice expressing, storing and feeding your milk
- Begin expressing and bottle-feeding your milk after breastfeeding is well established. Start practicing a few weeks before you plan to return to work.
- If using a pump, make sure it fits well – it should not cause pain. The plastic attachments come in several sizes.
- Collect your milk, date it, and store it in the back of the freezer in small amounts (approximately 2 oz. per container).
- Practice having another caregiver feed your milk at a slow pace so that your baby can show signs of fullness.