Benefits for your baby
- Early milk (colostrum) is the perfect first food for your baby. It should be your milk and nothing else, starting within an hour of birth.
- It provides antibodies and nutrition for your baby.
- It’s easy to digest. That means less cramping and less gas and less crying.
- Babies who are breastfed have a lower risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- It protects your baby from sickness and disease.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Overweight and obesity
Benefits for you
- Early breastfeeding helps contract the uterus and slow bleeding (important for your recovery)
- It’s convenient. Breast milk is always ready and always warm. It also has everything your baby needs to grow strong and healthy, and it changes according to what your baby needs.
- It’s easy. There’s nothing to buy and nothing to prepare.
- Exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months builds up a healthy milk supply and keeps it up.
- Breast milk is linked to a lower risk of disease for breast and ovarian cancers and Type-2 diabetes.
- Increases time before the next pregnancy.